2010年3月12日星期五

Letter to a friend about the anti-high speed rail movement

.......I was really moved by the scene. the media only showed the clashes, but there was much human solidarity among people. The movement showed great potential of non-party initiatives. The affinity-group spirit opens up a whole new picture of political action.


I have been re-reading Camus's book, The Rebel, where he pointed out the difference between revolution and rebellion. The revolutions of the 19th and early 20th century all led to authoritarian regimes, giving absolute power to the state. In changing the old world, they carried with them the core value of political power, which is bound to be corruptive. Camus contrasted this with the spirit of rebellion, which, instead of aiming at gaining political power, works towards subverting the inhuman conditions of life. Such perspective is extremely relevant to the present movement. The inhuman human condition is the myth of DEVELOPMENT. therefore it's not accidental the movement has an inherent binding with he fate of a small, previously unknown village in the new territories.

This is not a generation war. The young people in the movement are clear about it. I have strong faith in them.....

uncle hung
January 2010

4 則留言:

  1. Agree, agree. the most memorable moments for me were of us just hanging out between the walks; or dragging a heavy trolley of water all the way from causeway bay to central while catching up with a friend from long ago...

    By the way, I've only read L'Etranger, but I'm a big fan of Camus already.

    回覆刪除
  2. Hi, I am Kit from Hong Kong Baptist University. My major is broadcast journalism. I am very interested at your story telling and I want to know more about what you do. Could we talk through emails?

    My email address is 08029717@hkbu.edu.hk

    Hope I can talk to you soon. Thanks.

    Kit

    回覆刪除